5 things to read this weekend
September 03, 2015
Time is precious and choice is a paradox – so we’ve curated the perfect list for a smart weekend.
- Sometimes silence speaks the loudest. You have no doubt heard the news that Beyonce is Vogue’s September issue cover girl. What you have not heard is, well, Beyonce – as noted in the New York Times, she has apparently gone silent. See but don’t hear her in the September issue, now on sale at Kobo.
- Whet your appetite. A Kobo staff favourite -- Kitchens of the Great Midwest is the delightful tale of a woman who is larger than life in every way. A book for foodies and those who merely eat, it is the story of a life told through great food.
- Speaking of food – Alice Waters, creator of Chez Panisse, the restaurant and the philosophy that kicked off the whole slow food, “eat local” organic-is-best movement, offers her top ten books she’d want if she were marooned on a desert island. There must be something yummy in here….
- You are here. Read the movie – John Green’s Paper Towns is a brilliant, funny story of revenge served cold, true love and friendship.
- And now for dessert. What goes better with a book than a cup of tea and a cookie? Murder perhaps. Get started on this delicious mystery series, which kicks off with The Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder.