Kobo Touch 2.0 – The Next Generation of a Fan Favourite
Looking back on the good old days can be a lot of fun – a flashback to something great. If it weren’t for Wayback Wednesday or Throwback Thursday, we may not remember how much hair we had, what we looked like in jackets with shoulder pads, or how shag carpeting could really pull a room together.
Here at Kobo, we’re proud to look back on the moment booklovers fell in love with eReading. For many, it’s a love story that began in 2011 with their Kobo Touch. The Kobo Touch eReader, chosen as “Editor’s Pick” by Wired Magazine, was an instant success and the surprise winner among a number of products available on the market at the time.
What were people reading back then? 2011 was a big year for books – some of the biggest blockbusters included:
- Divergent by Veronica Roth – The first installment of a publishing phenomenon that took the dystopian young adult book world by storm, which then spun off into a wildly successful global movie franchise.
- Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson– The exclusive biography of a man who reshaped not only how business is done, but also revolutionized personal computers, animated movies, music, phones, tablet computing and digital publishing through his passion for perfection and creativity.
- Bossypants by Tina Fey – From her youthful days as a self-proclaimed nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live and 30 Rock, Tina tells the hilarious story of her life until now.
- The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt – This award-winning tale combines the western and comedy genres, with an unforgettable narrative voice that captures all the absurdity, melancholy, and grit of the West.
- A Dance with Dragons by George R. R. Martin – The bestselling title on which Game of Thrones season 5 is based, and one of the most exciting chapters in the epic fantasy saga of our time.
Millions of Kobo Touch devices have been sold, and four years later, some of our very best customers are still devoted to them and read on nothing else.
Introducing the Kobo Touch 2.0
Building on the success of the original, we’re introducing the new Kobo Touch 2.0. The refreshed version of a beloved classic offers a sleeker design with more internal storage memory and a battery life that lasts up to two months depending on individual usage.
What will people be reading on their new Kobo Touch 2.0s? Here are a few of this year’s must-reads:
- If You Only Knew by Kristan Higgins - The drama, hilarity and tears of sisterhood are at the heart of this thoroughly captivating new novel that takes a funny, frank and bittersweet look at marriage, forgiveness and moving on.
- The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins – If you loved Gone Girl, this is the book for you. Three women and three men are connected through marriage or infidelity. Each is to blame for something, but only one is a killer in this nail-biting, stealthy psychological thriller about human frailty and obsession.
- Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee – A landmark new novel set two decades after Harper’s beloved Pulitzer Prize–winning masterpiece, To Kill a Mockingbird. Twenty-six-year-old Jean Louise Finch—"Scout"—returns home from New York City to visit her aging father, Atticus. Memories from her childhood flood back, and her values and assumptions are thrown into doubt.
- Work Rules! by Laszlo Bock - From the visionary head of Google's innovative People Operations comes a ground-breaking inquiry into the philosophy of work, and a blueprint for attracting the most spectacular talent to your business and ensuring that they succeed.
- The Scorch Trials by James Dashner – The second book in the #1 New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series, with a movie also hitting theatres this fall. Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end… but it wasn’t.
More Device Details
- Read comfortably: Kobo Touch 2.0 provides a natural reading experience on a 6” anti-glare touchscreen – making it easy to read in direct sunlight. Additionally, customize your reading to your heart’s content with 11 font styles and 35 sizes, as well as exclusive weight and sharpness settings.
- Read conveniently: Highly portable, and with 4GB of on-board storage, you can carry up to 3,000 eBooks with you. With a battery life of up to 2 months, read an entire eBook on a single charge and enjoy the freedom of leaving your charger behind.
- Read instantly: Instant access to Kobo’s 24/7 eBookstore with Wi Fi. With millions of the best eBooks at your fingertips, you have the ability to start your next read whenever you want.
- Read continuously: Discovering your next great read is easy with personalized recommendations, free previews and reviews or by simply browsing the Kobo eBookstore.
The Kobo Touch 2.0 will be available in black and will retail for $89.99 CAD/USD MSRP (€89.99 MSRP) as of September 9 in Canada and in the US. The device will also be sold internationally:
- Late September: Italy, the Netherlands, Belgium and Mexico
- October: France, Spain and Germany
In addition, Kobo Touch 2.0 will become available in other countries later this year and early 2016.
- Display: 6” Pearl E Ink touchscreen; 800 x 600 resolution, 167 PPI; Neonode IR touch with 2 finger multi-touch support
- Size: 115 x157 x 9.2 mm; Weight: 185g
- Processor: Freescale i.MX6 Solo Lite @ 1 GHz
- Connectivity: Wi Fi 802.11 b/g/n and Micro USB
- Supported file formats:
- eBooks: EPUB, EPUB3, PDF, and MOBI
Images: JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP and TIFF
Text: TXT, HTML, XHTML, and RTF
Comic Books: CBZ and CBR
- eBooks: EPUB, EPUB3, PDF, and MOBI
Make sure to check out Kobo.com on September 9 for more details.
We wish you very happy reading!