New Shiny Apps for iPhone and Blackberry
When I spoke at the recent Digital Book 2009 conference, I talked about our mobile platforms, and said that iPhone was where the current battle for the hearts and minds of mobile phone readers is being fought, with Blackberry being the next big target.
To that point, we’ve been working feverishly to make the apps on these two key platforms even better, and today we’re announcing two new versions of our app, for both the iPhone and the Blackberry.
Go ahead, download the apps now:
Direct iTunes link for Shortcovers on iPhone: http://bit.ly/ELvFC
Direct link for Blackberry from Shortcovers: http://www.shortcovers.com/blackberry
Oh, you want to know what’s new in the apps? Alright, fine, twist my arm….
On the iPhone side:
We’ve added a TON of new options in our reading experience. You can now turn pages faster with our new horizontal paging mode, change the text colours, and much more. Read all about it on the iPhone reading help page
- We’ve removed that annoying sign up screen. When you first start Shortcovers, you can go right into the app and start browsing our free content. If you decide to buy any books from us, we’ll ask you to register then, and when you do, you’ll find that it’s a much more seamless signup process.
- We’ve added new lists, available under ‘More’ – this includes the current New York Times best sellers, some selections from our editors, and a great selection of free books and articles.
- We’ve applied a fresh coat of paint to the application – you’ll see new loading screens, a new splash screen when you first start the app, and a few other hidden gems.
In short, now you have even more content you can read for free, without signing in, using our great new reading interface, in the newly beautified app! (Phew, that’s a lot or one breath)
See, it’s awesome – now go and get it: http://bit.ly/ELvFC
We’ve done similar things on the Blackberry as well – we already took away the sign up screen from our Blackberry app, but now we’ve also:
- Added a built in purchase screen – now buying on the Blackberry is even easier. No more jumping out to the Blackberry browser – now it’s all nicely integrated
- Those same great lists that are on the iPhone are on the Blackberry too, under a new ‘Lists’ icon
- Just like the iPhone, the Blackberry app got a brand new coat of paint – you’ll find new graphics, better fonts, and generally just find it more fun to use
The Blackberry app is ready and waiting – go get it: http://www.shortcovers.com/blackberry
And just to leave you wanting more, we aren’t stopping there. We have a new Android release coming soon, and a super secret announcement that we’re going to make in the next few weeks that will literally blow your socks off (ok, well, maybe not literally, but it’s pretty amazing).